IMPORTANT! If you’re a store owner, please make sure you have Customer accounts enabled in your Store Admin, as you have customer based locks set up with EasyLockdown app. Enable Customer Accounts
Traverse BOM: Hourglass
This is one of my favorite blocks in the whole quilt. Do I say that every month? It feels true every month! I came up with this block quite a few years ago when I was making a quilt for Color Collective and I couldn't quite figure out how to piece it without it being overly complicated. Finally, I realized that if I trimmed an hourglass block, it would give me exactly the look I wanted!
I spent a fair amount of time messing around with the design on the computer and getting really excited about how if you offset the blocks when sewn into rows, you got the interesting shape interaction that we now have in the Traverse Quilt. I had actually used this block in a quilt I still haven't finished, so now that I'm here thinking about it, I better add that to my 2023 to-do list!
I know many folks can just follow along in the pattern and make many of the blocks in this quilt, but I really encourage you to watch the videos first this month because I go over my preferences for pressing open or to the side & how to trim (carefully!). Once you see it, you'll get it!
- Week 1: Cut fabric + sew HSTs
- Week 2: Sew HSTs into Hourglass blocks
- Week 3: Square + trim blocks
- Week 4: Square + trim blocks & Sew the rows
Please note there is one pattern correction this month. See any pattern updates here.
Monthly Sponsor & Prize
This month's giveaway sponsor is Wendy at The Next Stitch who is providing a $100 gift card to her shop in Australia!
The Next Stitch is a full-service patchwork shop specializing in fresh & modern fabrics. Wendy has a huge range of project ideas and kits to keep you sewing in-between each month's row or after your Traverse quilt is all stitched up! Check out the Next Stitch on Instagram or shop their online store.
How to Win:
- Post progress photos of your pluses on Instagram using hashtags #traversebom and #artisancottons.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate so we can see your photos
- Photo must be posted by February 28, 2023.
- A winner will be chosen randomly in March. Winners will be announced on Instagram and contacted via DM.
- This month's giveaway is open to International participants.
See you on social media! Part of the fun of a sew-along is interacting with other quilters! There are a couple of places we're loving seeing your BOM progress:
- Post photos of your progress on Instagram using hashtags #traversebom and #artisancottons
- Join my Facebook Group to share photos and chat with other BOM and workshop participants.
Traverse Block of the Month Sewing Schedule
- Sew Along Intro
- Month 1: Flying Geese
- Month 2: Pluses
- Month 3: Half Circles
- Month 4: Square Dots
- Month 5: Hourglass
- Month 6: X's & O's
- Month 7: Diamonds
- Month 8: Hexagons
- Month 9: Half Squares
- Month 10: Triangles
- Month 11: Assembling the Quilt Top & Basting
- Month 12: Quilting & Binding
*links to each month will be updated as they are released.
Questions about assembling the block? Post a discussion inside the Thinkific platform to get help from me! My goal is to respond within 3 business days.
Having technical difficulties logging in to Thinkific? I'd love to help you! Just send an email to email@example.com
Meet Tara Faughnan
Hi there! I am a professional textile designer and quilter living and working in Oakland, CA.
Sign up for emails to receive the latest news on workshops, Color Collective, and more. Plus you'll get a 15% off coupon to use on your next order.