Let's talk about curves instead! You either love them or hate them. I avoided curves like the plague for many years, until a friend showed me the way forward using a glue stick to hold those pieces together like a boss! Using glue rather than pins allows the edges to stay together, reducing pleats and puckers and it makes sewing curves really fun and addictive, I promise. If curves are new to you, do not get discouraged if your first few blocks are less than ideal. Keep practicing on scrap fabrics until you feel confident and your blocks lay flat without puckers or pleats. It may take about 4-6 blocks to get the hang of it. We will also be making these blocks slightly oversize and trimming them down afterwards, so even if things get a bit wonky as you are sewing, you can straighten it out when trimming, it's basically a no fail technique!!
Week 1: Cutting the fabric
Week 2: Sewing the blocks
Week 3: Sewing the blocks
Week 4: Sewing the blocks into rows
Monthly Sponsor & Prize
This month's giveaway sponsor is Domesticity! Domesticity is fabric shop with a beautifully curated selection of modern fabrics, notions & patterns (I might need to sew myself into a jumpsuit one of these days!) as well as a sewing studio with a wide selection of classes and sewcials in Baltimore. Domesticity is offering a $75 gift certificate as this month's prize!
How to Win:
- Post progress photos of your half circles on Instagram using hashtags #traversebom and #artisancottons.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate so we can see your photos
- Photo must be posted by December 31, 2022
- A winner will be chosen randomly in January. Winners will be announced on Instagram and contacted via DM.
- This month's giveaway is open to United States participants.
See you on social media!
Part of the fun of a sew-along is interacting with other quilters! There are a couple of places we're loving seeing your BOM progress:
- Post photos of your progress on Instagram using hashtags #traversebom and #artisancottons
- Join my Facebook Group to share photos and chat with other BOM and workshop participants.
Traverse Block of the Month Sewing Schedule
Sew Along Intro
Month 1: Flying Geese
Month 2: Pluses
Month 3: Half Circles
Month 4: Square Dots
Month 5: Hourglass
Month 6: X's & O's
Month 7: Diamonds
Month 8: Hexagons
Month 9: Half Squares
Month 10: Triangles
Month 11: Finishing the Quilt
*links to each month will be updated as they are released.
Questions about assembling the block?
Post a discussion inside the Thinkific platform to get help from me! My goal is to respond within 3 business days.