Traverse BOM: Hexagons
In this month, we continue working with my favorite tear-less method of foundation paper piecing. When I was originally designing the block, I started with much smaller hexagons that were traditionally pieced. I quickly realized it was much harder to make a traditionally pieced hexagon accurately and that most normal people wouldn't want to make so many tiny ones!
I hope you enjoy the version that made it into the final quilt. I'm so in love with the colorway for this row from the mutli colorway. Give me hot pink and ochre any day!
Have fun this month!
Week 1: Cutting the fabric
Week 2: Sewing the blocks
Week 3: Sewing the blocks
Week 4: Sewing the blocks into rows
Monthly Sponsor & Prize
This month's giveaway sponsor is Quilter's Dream! They will be giving away a package of batting to help you finish up your quilt! The batting I currently use is their 80/20 cotton/poly blend. I love this batting because it's easy to hand-quilt through (when I want to) and doesn't hold a crease when your quilts are folded (which a lot of mine are!). I've heard a lot of great things about their Dream Bamboo batting, so I'm thinking about giving that a try soon too!
How to Win:
- Post progress photos of your diamonds on Instagram using hashtags #traversebom and #artisancottons.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate so we can see your photos
- Photo must be posted by May 31, 2023.
- A winner will be chosen randomly in June. Winners will be announced on Instagram and contacted via DM.
- This month's giveaway is open to United States participants.
See you on social media!
Part of the fun of a sew-along is interacting with other quilters! There are a couple of places we're loving seeing your BOM progress:
- Post photos of your progress on Instagram using hashtags #traversebom and #artisancottons
- Join my Facebook Group to share photos and chat with other BOM and workshop participants.
Traverse Block of the Month Sewing Schedule
Sew Along Intro
Month 1: Flying Geese
Month 2: Pluses
Month 3: Half Circles
Month 4: Square Dots
Month 5: Hourglass
Month 6: X's & O's
Month 7: Diamonds
Month 8: Hexagons
Month 9: Half Squares
Month 10: Triangles
Month 11: Assembling the Quilt Top & Basting
Month 12: Quilting & Binding
*links to each month will be updated as they are released.
Questions about assembling the block?
Post a discussion inside the Thinkific platform to get help from me! My goal is to respond within 3 business days.
Meet Tara Faughnan
Hi there! I am a professional textile designer and quilter living and working in Oakland, CA.
Sign up for emails to receive the latest news on workshops, Color Collective, and more. Plus you'll get a 15% off coupon to use on your next order.